When were we founded
RC Cagliari was founded on November 23, 1949, by a group of distinguished professionals, entrepreneurs, and bank and administration managers.Gian Paolo Lang from Leghorn, the governor of the only Italian RD, and future President of Rotary International, was present.
Cagliari had been almost completely destroyed by Anglo-American bombers in February-May 1943 so as to simulate a possible landing of allied forces in the island, and the epos of its courageous reconstruction had just started.
The strong reaction of the ruling and popular classes contributed to the town's revival. No one believed it would have become the driving force of Sardinia.
Avv. Rafaele Sanna Randaccio, the first President, and the other founders of RC Cagliari combined their intellectual and professional energies, with a view to relaunching the economy and the values of the town.
Past and present initiative
The La Marmora Prize, instituted in 1977, became a common heritage of all the Rotary Clubs in Cagliari. It is given to non Sardinians who have contributed with their studies, initiatives and work to the improvement and progress of Sardinia. It is now in its 18th edition and the prize winners include important people from international and national organizations.
The Life tree was erected in the San Michele cemetery in 1984 by the Rotarians and Lion Clubs in remembrance of the civil victims of the bombing of Cagliari in 1943. It consists of a steel monument designed and built by the artist Tore Pintus.
Shows and meetings, organized in common by Rotarians and Lions, to remember the spirit of reconstruction of the people of Cagliari after its destruction in 1943, and to analyze its development as we approach the new millenium. The target is to open a city museum.